Tips for Hiring the Right Movers
Moving can be stressful! Doesn’t matter if you’re moving across the country or across town, hiring the right moving company is a critical part of making the transition happen smoothly. Moving companies are not cheap, so it’s worth taking the time to do your research and make an informed decision. It’s a big job, and you will trust your valuables to the movers. So, before you just choose someone off the Internet, consider some tips to help you chose the right one.
Do Your Homework
Before you contact the potential movers, make sure you understand your needs. Think through the move and ask each moving company the same type of questions so that you can accurately compare costs and offers.
- Get more than one estimate
- Get recommendations from neighbors, friends and your agent
- Check references
- Keep a file of estimates, communications, paperwork, contracts etc. Take detailed notes of verbal communications
- Be prepared for the meeting. Understand your time frame and the services you’ll require. Do you need packing or storage services?
Ask the Right Questions
Ask all the questions you have. Moving can be complicated, especially when you are moving long distances. There are real differences in coverage and costs, so make sure you understand what each company includes in their bid.
Some sample questions include:
- What dates are you available to pack, load and move us?
- When will you be able to deliver at the new location?
- What is the charge for packing and unpacking?
- Do you offer boxes for my use and what do you charge for them?
- Is there anything that cannot be shipped?
- Can you ship my car? Do you use a driver or load on a truck/train?
- What is included in my insurance? What is not included?
Finding the right movers is a matter of doing your research and asking the right questions. Prepare in advance and then interview a few movers. Don’t forget to check online reviews, such as Yelp, and ask for references. You trust the moving company with your family’s treasures and memories, you need to take care and hire a professional company who will take this move seriously.